Saturday, April 21, 2012

On a Wedding Veil Hunt

Twenty-nine.. yes 29 years ago my parents said their "I Dos."

Tonight... Momma and I went to my Grandma's house on the search for her old wedding dress and veil. The other day while we were at Grandma's house for the traditional Sunday night dinner I thought about how cool it would be to wear my Momma's veil.... so tonight we took a journey into my grandparents attic... scary. Haha.

We were just a little nervous to head up there... but it had to be done!
Let's just say that this was not going to be an easy find...

Not only were there lots and lots of stuff up in the attic, it was actually slightly scary haha... my mind started to wonder because it was dark and dusty and just plain scary... We finally were feeling as if we would never find the dress and we knew Grandma knew right where it was, but she wasn't home yet... So while we were waiting for Grandma we started rummaging through some of Momma's old things... and look what I found

How awesome.. what great doodling. Too cute! This was Momma's notebook from when she was at ECU for graduated school.
One of her old college notebooks.. fun!

Finally.. Grandma finally walked in the door and as soon as we could get the words out of our mouths she was already pointing to the exact location of the wedding box.. haha

So here is what we found.. be prepared.. we are going back a few years.

We found it! We found it.
 Once we opened the box the memories flooded the room and Momma had actually forgotten that her veil had a cap on it.. haha way old fashioned for today. We were actually surprised though that it had not yellowed as much as we thought it would have. Momma and I are going to try our handy-crafty work at it to make it more up to date and a little whiter. I truly hope that it works because I would love to wear it on my wedding day minus the cap. :)

Now on another note... the wedding dress was in the box. Haha. So everyone (Grandma, Aunt Faye, and Momma) convinced me to put it on. Can I just tell you I felt like I was back in the Titanic times.. it was hilarious, but it was awesome because it fit perfectly.. maybe a little short in the sleeves and the length... ok so I will just let you laugh for a bit...

Momma's wedding dress.. It had been in the box for 29 years!
The dress had yellowed really bad and had some stain issues, but it was actually really cool to put it on. I can tell you though that I will not be wearing this.. haha, but it was fun.


I really hope that we can get the veil to be perfect so say some prayers!


Have a great weekend!


3 comments:

  1. It's so wonderful that you got to try on your mom's wedding dress! I hope you can make the veil work because it is such a cute and sentimental idea! I see a "Wedding Veil Update Tutorial" in your blog's future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore my mom's veil! It's a great memory I have so I hope you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe it had been 29 years since I last saw the veil and dress...it brought back some wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete